Netflix’s biggest comedy festival ever, Netflix Is A Joke just concluded. The event had 336 major comics perform across 35 venues all over Los Angeles. Those who were not able to attend the show or don’t live in the States had been waiting for the streamer to air the sets. Finally, the streamer has now announced the events that are going to air along with the dates but some major specials are missing from the list. Most notably, the Dave Chappelle special on Netflix.
Is it because of the assault?
Isiah Lee attacked the American comedian on stage during his Hollywood Bowl set. The assault made headlines everywhere, but it isn’t the reason behind the streamer’s decision not to air the show. Netflix had always planned the Dave Chappelle show as a live event. Thus, the four sold-out shows weren’t taped. However, the comedian filmed it to monitor his own performance and test his new material.
Apart from the Hollywood Bowl set, Gabriel Fluffy Iglesias special is also missing from the lineup.
List of specials that are to air on Netflix apart from the Dave Chappelle show
In a recent press release, the streamer revealed the events that are going to air. Viewers can stream the comedy specials from anywhere in the world.
- May 19 – The Hall: Honoring the Greats of Stand-Up, “an evening to celebrate some of the greatest stand-ups of all time who are no longer with us. John Mulaney honors Robin Williams, Dave Chappelle honors Richard Pryor, Chelsea Handler honors Joan Rivers and Jon Stewart honors George Carlin.”
- June 6 – Bill Burr Presents: Friends Who Kill, “a showcase featuring stand-ups curated by Burr.”
- June 7 and 12 – That’s My Time with David Letterman, “each of the six episodes spotlights one comedian, including a 5-minute stand-up set and conversation with Letterman.”
- June 9 – Stand Out: An LGBTQ+ Celebration, “the largest-ever gathering of LGBTQ+ comics.”
- June 10 – A Tribute to Bob Saget, “a celebration of Bob’s life in comedy with his friends and family.”
- June 11 – Amy Schumer’s Parental Advisory, “a showcase featuring stand-ups curated by Schumer.’
- June 13 – Pete Davidson Presents: The Best Friends, “a multi-comic special hosted and curated by Davidson.”
- June 14 – Jane Fonda & Lily Tomlin: Ladies Night Live, “Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda introduce an all-female lineup of comedians.”
- June 16 – Snoop Dogg’s F*cn Around Comedy Special, “original comedy from Snoop, along with sets from legendary black comedians performing at the festival.”
- June 23 – Best of the Festival, “highlights from throughout the 11-day event.”
Which of these shows are you most excited to watch?